Visual is a free theme designed to showcase photography, artwork and images in a neat masonry grid layout.
- Masonry layout: Regardless of the featured image height and width (or even if no image is selected) the posts will look great in a nice dynamic grid.
- Responsive Layout: Visual looks great on small screens, such as tablets and smartphones, as well as on laptops and desktops.
- Three color schemes: Light, Dark and Minimal
- Typography: Uses Raleway, a beautiful webfont by Matt McInerney and served by Google Fonts
- Icon Font: Pixel dense retina displays look great with this theme because of the icon gylphs from Entypo, by Daniel Bruce.
- Solid code: Visual is built off of the Underscores starter theme and uses WordPress best practices.
How to Use the Theme
- Download the theme and activate
- Set your menu in WordPress (under “Appearance” > “Menus”)
- If images don’t show up by default, you may need to set the featured image. Edit your post and click “Set featured image”.
- If you are making changes to the CSS or template files, consider using a child theme. You can download this one to start with.
A version of Visual has been built for WordPress.com. You can get it for free here. If you’re using Visual on WordPress.com you won’t be able to alter the template code or use third-party plugins, but you can still make some css changes with custom design upgrade.