visual-header

Visual Theme

Visual is a free theme designed to showcase photography, artwork and images in a neat masonry grid layout.

visual-theme

Standard Features

• Masonry layout: Regardless of the featured image height and width (or even if no image is selected) the posts will look great in a nice dynamic grid.
  • Responsive Layout: Visual looks great on small screens, such as tablets and smartphones, as well as on laptops and desktops.
  • Typography: Uses Raleway, a beautiful webfont by Matt McInerney and served by Google Fonts
  • Icon Font: Pixel dense retina displays look great with this theme because of the icon gylphs from Entypo, by Daniel Bruce.
  • Solid code: Visual is built off of the Underscores starter theme and uses WordPress best practices.

Premium Features

If you’d like additional font options, color palettes, infinite scroll, or lightboxes- see Visual+. Purchases also help support the work that goes into the free version.

How to Use the Theme

• Download the theme and activate
  • Set your menu in WordPress (under “Appearance” > “Menus”)
  • If images don’t show up by default, you may need to set the featured image. Edit your post and click “Set featured image”.
  • If you are making changes to the CSS or template files, consider using a child theme. You can download this one to start with.

If you’d like to display excerpts on the home page rather than full text, you can either use the more button or select the “excerpt” option in the theme customizer.

WordPress.com Users

A version of Visual has been built for WordPress.com. You can get it for free here. If you’re using Visual on WordPress.com you won’t be able to alter the template code or use third-party plugins, but you can still make some css changes with custom design upgrade. If you need support for Visual on WordPress.com, you’ll need to contact their support team as they run a slightly customized version of the theme.

Theme Demo

View the Demo

Get the Theme

Download from WordPress.org

Upgrade

For additional options, features, and support, check out Visual+. Purchases help to support both the free and paid versions. Read more.

175 thoughts on “Visual Theme

1. Patrick wrote:

The static page isn’t working at all. No matter what setting I put on. I created a Home button that navigates to the Portfolio page otherwise my “Home” page doesn’t display my portfolio.

2. Patrick wrote:

I have figured out why my “Home” page is not displaying our portfolio. When I was using your Portfolio Press Theme I could set the “Full Width Portfolio” or “Portfolio”. When I switch over to your Visual Theme I don’t get that option. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

3. Sarah wrote:

Lovely theme – works great for my husband’s professional website.

I did notice that if you enable Disqus comments, it doubles the comment count (so, for instance, it says “0 comments 0 comments”). It took me a bit to figure it out, but it looks it’s doing so because of the way you have the comment and comment icon listed; when I commented out the comment icon line, it now displays correctly.

4. It would be good to have the same styling for widget title/content as the actual blog content. At the moment, the widget area seems to be missing entry-header/entry-content elements. This has resulted in widget areas to look different than the actual blog post content areas.

Can you please add a fix to this.

• Rabin wrote:

The widget area doesnot have entry content dic and that is why the top border is missing. The header has bittom border but the content is missing top border. If you compare widget area and blog entry area you will notice the difference.

5. Johannes L wrote:

Hey,
    i got the problem that the uploaded picture of my new post and some pics of the post before arenĀ“t showed, so just the name of the pic is indicated. But the pics were successfully uploaded. Some pieces of advice for me?
    Thanks
    JL

Check the console log and see if you’re getting 404′s on the images. If so, you might need to reupload or reinsert the image. Ping me with the URL if you think it’s a bug on the theme side.

6. Juissi wrote:

I’m using the Visual theme on a different language (not english) and noticed a couple places where the translations don’t work.

Like on the blog page it says:
    Posted on 1.9.2013

And on the post page it says:
    Posted on 1.9.2013 by Username

This entry was posted in CategoryName. Bookmark the permalink.

I didn’t find a way to edit or remove these texts.
    Also the Search box is not translated, but I guess that can be removed.

Everything seems to be translated correctly and the theme is awesome!

7. Kristian wrote:

When I updated to 0.9 the “dark” option for the theme stopped working. Now no matter what setting I have it on (dark, light, minimal) it just displays as light. Any suggestions?

Are you using Visual+? The light/minimal styling options were removed from Visual.

8. ya noya wrote:

Hello Devin,
    - I have updated wordpress and Visual Theme, but still having problem with “masonry layout” – individual items (shorten posts) are not displayed properly, there are irregular empty spaces among them. I have made some changes in the theme, but not so big. Would you have any idea what is the problem, how could I fix it?
    - Would like to add information about category into “entry-meta”. I.e. there would be “Posted on.. by.. in .(categories).. Which text shall I write and into which file (and in which space in the file)?
    Thanx for reply.

9. Hello Devin!

I need to do some customizations, but my website is hosted in wordpress.com
    - How do Y remove the meta ‘posted by’ and date on postes?
    - How do y custom the footer? On footer by default, i have “Blog no WordPress.com. | The Visual Theme.”

tks?

For WordPress.com you would to purchase the CSS upgrade and add some style to hide it.

• ok Devin tks for your reply.
        I did buy the custom css, but every style that i wrote doesnt effect.
        How can I do this? tks!

10. using this style, i got!

/* Hide post meta (SEA)
    ———————————-*/
    .entry-meta{display:none;}

11. ya noya wrote:

Hello. I have installed Visual 1.0 (in fact it was a problem also for Visual 0.9).
    The test here: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/cAZqpZ/http://www.yanoya.co/ shows, there are some files missing in the Theme, esp. regarding font entypo. Could you provide them or suggest how to correct the file style.css?
    It quite slows down the web-page.
    Thanx.

• ya noya wrote:

Update: I have saved some files there, however still not able to use entypo font, I had to put “raleway” everwhere as an alternative font-family.

12. Nina wrote:

Hi Devin.
    I’d really need your help on this issue. I’m a graphic designer and I like your theme a lot. For my work I use 24” monitor. Based on your theme I created a background and here come the problem. The bigger monitors display the frontage perfectly but as I noticed on my client notebook which has 15” my background is completely cut off. I’d appreciate if you check my page and experience what I’m talking about, It’s really awkward situation for me. Thanx for your answers.

You’ll need to contact WordPress.com support about the theme if it is hosted there.

No, but you could insert a gallery on that page. The JetPack plugin also has some enhancements for making the galleries more interesting.

13. alexandra wrote:

Hello

I would like ‘search’ in the topmenu, but can’t get it there.

Now there is only ‘home’ and ‘over dit blog’

Please, can you help me ?

There isn’t an option for search in the menu. Sorry.

14. joe wrote:

Thx for sharing theme.

Can you tell me how to change to 4 columns no margins inbetween.

I have 4 posts at 312px each total 1248px.

I’ve tried changing widths and margins in css but I think its controlled by columnWidths in jquery.masonry.min.js. Tried playing with that but don’t really know my way around jquery yet.

15. Hi Devin,

I use your theme in my blog. I would like to know the name of the font used in the theme as well as the HTML colour number. I am printing some flyers of my blog and would like them to be coherent with the blog.

On a separate track, I have a videos section. Is it possible to post the videos I have in the size that they actually appear but on separate posts. Until now I have only been able to include all of them in one post.

Thanks for your help,

Julian

The font is called Raleway: http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Raleway.

There are a couple font colors. Not sure which one you want.

You should be able to have multiple video posts. Since you’re on WordPress.com, I’d recommend contacting their support team.

16. Alicia wrote:

hi,

quick question: does the theme gives the option to change the background’s color from grey to white for instance?

thanks

Yes. You can also set full screen images with Visual+.

17. G’day Devin.

This theme is babin’, thank you.

I’d like to use the page layout ‘Full Width, No Sidebar’ across all posts and pages. Could you please tell me how might I go about that?

Thanks again, I’m looking forward to using this theme.

Hi Stuart. There’s no layout options besides that page template. You would need to edit the code.

• Stuart Chater wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me Devin.

I’ve had a go at trying to edit the CSS. I’ve successfully removed the sidebar, but the “primary” div remains the same width.

I can tell that you’re theme is quite technical, usually I can figure out how to tamper with most themes haha.

I was hoping there might be a simple way to impose the Full Width template on posts as well. Any help appreciated. Also if I end up using this theme I’d happily donate if there’s a place to do so?

18. Pingback: Quick Blog Design Update

19. marjan wrote:

Hi Devin, Thank you for the wonderful there.
    I am on Portfolio Press and all my featured images look very pixelated, although I am doing the correct downsampling in Photoshop they look bad. I am on a retina display and tried saving them as 314×224 and also tried saving as 628×448.

20. Alex wrote:

Hi there! im using this theme that by the way is pretty cool! i love the simplicity in how the posts page are displayed. I’m writing because i’m stuck in something that might just be pretty easy to solve, but where else is better to ask than here. I want my front page to be the one i created in “Pages/New Page”, where in my case i input my bio and such, so that after reading that, you can click somewhere where you can see the stacked up squared posts. (i have set “Front page displays: A static page”)
    Now, when i’m reading this front page, i can’t find a way to click HOME and just go to the post page. Did i make my point?
    Thanks in advance!
    Lovely theme!

Hi Alex. Under “Settings > Reading” options you can also set a posts page. You might want to create a page called “Posts” or “Blog” and set that. Then add that page to your menu.

21. thom wrote:

Hi Devin –
    In trying out Visual prior to purchasing Visual+, I have run across an issue when posting Tweets as posts. WordPress 3.8.1 uses the tweet url to expand the tweet into a full valid post, but on Visual, these posts are covered over by other posts. Almost like the other posts disregard the space taken up by the tweet.
    I suspect a conflict between the masonry javascript and the javascript Twitter uses, but not totally sure.
    Have you seen anything like this and have any idea how to get around it?
    Thanks!

22. alex wrote:

Hi, work great !

is it possible add a secondary menu vertical on sidebar left ?

Can i help me please?

thx a lot

Hi Alex. There aren’t layout options for this theme. You could add a menu as a widget to the right sidebar- but that only shows up on posts and pages, not the archives.

23. Hi,
    I’m trying to show a three level in main menu, but i can’t. I found this lines in style.css:

/* Three level menus aren’t really supported */
    .main-navigation ul ul ul {
    display: none;
    position: absolute;
    float: left;
    border-left: none;
    border-right: none;
    top: 50px;
    left: 100px;
    width: 190px;
    }
    And in the source code there aren’t the tag of my third level of the list
    Is this possible? What I have to add / change?

Thank you ver much!
    Carlos.

Look in header.php. You need to change the menu depth to 3:

wp_nav_menu( array( ‘theme_location’ => ‘primary’, ‘walker’ => new Visual_Nav_Walker(), ‘depth’ => ’3′ ) );

24. WebNashr wrote:

Does this theme have RTL support?

25. Paul wrote:

I am trying to get links from the homepage to link to “blog posts” rather than straight to the image itself. Any ideas how to alter this?

I assume you mean clicks on images you’ve inserted into the post? If so, there are options for how those images are linked when you insert them. I’d probably select “none”.

If you set your featured image, that image will automatically link to the post.

26. matt wrote:

Hi Devin. I’d like to switch to using your theme for my photoblog which uses YAPB but I’m currently struggling a little to hook in the yapb hooks for thumbnails and main images. Where is the best place to do this?

I’m currently using the following with another theme at the moment:

<a href="”>
    ”,
    ‘rel’ => ”
    ”,
    array(‘w=900′, ‘q=97′), // phpThumb configuration parameters
    ” // image tag custom css class
    );
    ?>

<?php yapb_exif( "exiftag", ":", "“, ““, ““, “” ); ?>

Thanks,
    – Matt

• matt wrote:

Hmm…that syntax got messed up. Sorry about that.

• matt wrote:

All sorted. The correct syntax helps… Some small tweaks in content and content-single and we’re good to go. Sorry for the noise. Lovely theme.

27. Gemma wrote:

Hi Devin, I’m just starting out with WordPress and I’ve used the Visual theme. I’d like to add some copyright text to a footer at the bottom of each page and post. I’ve come across lots of websites that describe how to do this but I can’t navigate my way to find the right sections. Please could you walk me through how to do this? Thank you

Click “Appearance > Customize” and look for the footer text option. This will allow you to update the text.

• Gemma wrote:

Thanks. I’ll keep looking but so far all I have is ‘colour’, ‘fonts’, ‘header’, ‘menus’, ‘front’, ‘site title’ and ‘CSS’. I’ve looked in each and can’t see any reference to footer.

28. Gemma wrote:

Hi Devin, I have another question! My background colour is black but beneath each post the ‘comment’ and ‘previous post/ next post’ are grey text on white background which is hard to read. Can you help me change them to white text on black like the rest of the post? Many thanks

It looks like you are using the theme on WordPress.com. The only way would be to get a custom CSS upgrade and change the styles. You’d need to go through their support channels to get help with this.

• Gemma wrote: