When you purchase a WordPress theme you’ll generally get a download link for the zip file. To upload this theme to your site involves a couple simple steps.
- Log into your WordPress site, and go to “Appearances > Themes” menu item
- Click the “Add New” button at the top of the screen
- Click the “Upload Theme” button at the top of the screen
- Now choose the .zip file that you have of the theme click “Install Now”
Overwriting a Theme
If you are uploading a newer version of an existing theme, you will likely get this message:
“Destination folder already exists. Theme install failed.”
In that case, you will need to temporarily switch themes (perhaps to the default). Find the theme you want to replace, click “Theme Details” and then click “Delete”. Now you can upload the newer version.
- If you use WordPress.com, you cannot upload your own themes.
- If your zip file contains multiple themes, you’ll need to unzip it, and then re-zip each theme individually.
- Purchase themes only from trusted sources- otherwise you run the risk of getting a hacked version (no fun).