So maybe you accidentally deleted 600,000 customer records and associated usermeta from a WordPress site. Or maybe I did. Regardless, it’s a problem and they now need to be restored.
Thankfully, there’s a backup (boy howdy, you better hope so). Our site is hosted with WP Engine, so we restored a snapshot from before the accidental deletion to a new environment.
We hadn’t deleted all the user records, just a subset. But the easiest way to restore them from the backup was to export the all the users and usermeta within a specific range- but then only restore the ones that were missing. We did this using WP CLI. Continue reading